Wow. Just yesterday I wrote about WeiJ combining 2 signs to communicate what he wants. I thought that was great progress and wondered what 2 signs he'd put together next. Apparently WeiJ had other plans for where that bar should be set.
Today he signed "sleep" and I asked if he was ready for a nap. He nodded in his one-emphatic-nod way and started running for the bedroom. I grabbed a couple of books that he'd forgotten were in his bag and followed him. We read each of them 5 times or so and I told him we were all finished and it was time to go nightnight. He laid down, then sat back up and looked at me and said over and over, "mah" but he wasn't signing. I asked him if he was asking for milk or mama and he just kept saying "mah." He wasn't whining or getting frustrated - just kept repeating the word. Then he switched to "ba" a few times...but when I asked if he was looking for the ball then he changed to what sounded more like his word for "bonk." That still wasn't working, but he kept trying and watching me intently. FINALLY it clicked and I asked, "more book?" He grinned SO big, nodded emphatically and said "muh booh." He loves signing for more, so I'm not sure why he wasn't doing it so his slow-on-the-uptake mama would understand. Maybe he wasn't signing because he was determined to say it and leave the signs behind? I might have teared up a little, but I'll never tell. :)
I Could Never
15 years ago
2 comments:
My goodness, at this rate you'll walk into his room one morning and he'll be speaking in full sentences! :o)
Ayi loves this story! I just knew he'd be into books... guess what Wei-J's getting for Christmas??? (This is the part where ShuShu rolls his eys.) ; )
Post a Comment