What's this? 8:30pm and I have free time?? Wei J was as exhausted as I am after today and took all of 20 minutes to fall asleep - and that includes reading 5 books twice!
Today Wei J hit the ripe old age of 17 months. We celebrated the day with time outs and me using his full name out loud for the first time. Of course then I had to fight back a smile because I felt silly - he hasn't quite grasped his first name, let alone his middle or last!! Doesn't quite carry the right weight yet. ;) Someone needs to tell this child he doesn't turn 2 until NEXT YEAR. Actually we had a fun day until his afternoon nap time at 4. We did the usual routine with the quiet time and the books, but he decided to fight it. First it was cute because he was being very kissy. But then it just escalated to behavior we've already been working on and had improved - he's well aware of where those boundaries are but he felt like testing them again today. Missed naps definitely do not bring out the best in him. It's not terrible behavior, but it's willful and has a methodical escalation and it's something that has to be nipped in the bud right here. It's all about testing limits and I think has a lot to do with him being used to running the show and trying to regain that control. Good grief, a power struggle and he's 17 months old. SERENITY NOW!
I almost got my first funny picture of him, though. I had pulled a chair from the table into the kitchen as his time out chair - instead of getting down to play, he had to sit there while I did dishes after dinner. I noticed it had gotten really quiet so I looked down and he was nodding off, face pressed into the back of the chair and both hands gripping the chair back like they were prison bars. Unfortunately I laughed and woke him up, so I wasn't able to snap that photo. Something tells me in the next year or so we'll have ample time in that chair though.
Oh well. Tomorrow's a new day with a fresh slate. And if we can just get that second nap in, everything would be golden!
I Could Never
16 years ago
1 comment:
The vision of him on his time out chair made me chuckle. He's such a beautiful little boy.
(Should I warn you now that I'm convinced that for little boys 2's are tough, but 3's give new definition to the word challenging.)
Post a Comment