Saturday, October 11, 2008

Game Day WeiJ, Part Two

Wow, what a football game! I wasn't sure how much of it WeiJ was going to let me watch, but he actually watched the first half with me before he went down for his nap. I missed one play but other than that I saw the whole thing! Actually I did miss a few parts - someone's little head kept blocking my view. He was a hoot, watching and pointing and mimicking the coaches' hand signals. I wonder if he thinks he learned some new signs?? So how did we celebrate the win? With orange chicken for dinner, of course! :)

A couple of notable things from our day...
He's getting it: I noticed he was saying something like "zzzzzh-AH" over and over and sometimes was pointing to himself. I think he's starting to try to say his name, because when I said it after he tried, he smiled really big and nodded. :)

Another new word: mmmmuh = mouse. Ok so milk is also "muh" and so is more but he's working on getting more to sound more like "moh."

A reading development: for a while now he's been opening books to a certain page and wanting to know what it said. Today was the first time he's pointed to specific words and wanted to know what they were. I'm pretty sure that recognizing that the printed words are meaningful is a concept that has a role in the process of learning to read and has a certain age where that clicks. I'm going to go ahead and guess that 17 months is ahead of the curve. ;)

Just cute: We were playing with his cars - I was sitting cross-legged on the floor and he backed up into my lap. Every time he stood up to go get the cars again, he would take a step and then turn around and flash me that grin of his. I'm sure he sat down and stood up a couple dozen times and it never ceased to please him. :)

Little mimic: Is a refrigerator + a tennis ball an instrument of self torture or a new fun game? I get pretty difficult knots in my back and shoulders, and the best way to loosen them is direct pressure by placing a ball directly on the knot and then rotating my arms to pull the muscle across the ball. It's horrible torture but a necessary evil. For the last couple of days I've been standing flat against the refrigerator to conceal the ball (from WeiJ AND the dog) and do the exercises...I looked down and there's MiniMe standing with his back flat against the fridge next to me. He was all smiles and copying me. Silly boy!

If only I had the video camera on: For some reason, kitty likes to hang out on the back side of the tub during WeiJ's bath time. He splashes and gets rowdy but she just lays there and purrs. He used to object to her being in the room but has gotten over it and doesn't seem to notice or care anymore. I don't know what happened but tonight, the kitty fell in! I'm not sure what was funnier, her frantic attempts to get back out or his look of disdain for her having the gall to get in his tub! Fortunately it happened on the side of the tub he wasn't in so he wasn't in path of all her flailing. I think they looked equally disgruntled afterwards but it was highly amusing for me!

No comments: