


By the time we got across the square, I think the travel fatigue was starting to catch up with us a bit. We were ready to stop for lunch....and oh was that lunch something else! The menu was selected for us by our guide and was yummy. I can't remember now all that we had, but I think it was kung pao chicken, a fish dish, a veggie dish that was really tasty, a beef dish with an odd texture, soup and rice. It's hard to remember much about the food because that's the lunch where we had 2 girls come in to entertain us. It was a ridiculously small room, with barely enough space for the big table and the 4 of us. But the girls come in to sing and dance something traditional for us...which was nice, except for how uncomfortably close they were! And it was NOT any kind of traditional dance I've ever seen! When the dancer started shimmying her shoulders right towards my mom I think I almost choked on my tea. Not only was she shimmying, she was doing it in an awkward and ... well ... an ungraceful way. And when she dropped to the floor into a backbend right there? So help me I had to close my eyes because if I made eye contact with anyone I was going to bust out laughing BAD. I know, bad American tourists. But they were doing a nervous giggle and making eyes at each other so it was hard to take seriously! In retrospect, how glad am I that I didn't end up sitting there by the door?? That could have been me that had to be smiling politely at her instead of hiding behind my tea cup! Fortunately we behaved ourselves through the performance and made it through lunch without further incident. What makes it more interesting is when we talked to other families who were there, all they got was lunch - no show!
Next stop: Summer Palace
No comments:
Post a Comment