Saturday, September 20, 2008

Balls, bananas, and cars that go bonk

WeiJ was just full of cuteness and brilliance today. Is it normal 16 month behavior to identify a pea as a ball? I was feeding him the veggies from his bowl of ramen - he stopped, pushed my hand back to look at the spoon and said "ball." OK really it was "buh" but I've been hearing that "buh" long enough to know that's Ball! I don't even know where to start to research those kind of developmental timelines, but I was surprised he gets that concept already.

Today we've been working on saying banana. WeiJ said "bababa" this morning and "nana" this afternoon. Then for the rest of the evening, saying that word became a game. His expressions had me cracking up so hard I thought I was going to have to borrow a diaper! He has a new facial expression now that he picked up from ShuShu's photo in front of the Bird's Nest (on Ayi's blog, I think). He opens his mouth and eyes as wide as they go and says "ahhhhhh" then dissolves into laughter. I *think* that's where it came from anyway - he did it when he saw the photo, and now I think he repeats it because it gets such a reaction out of me. Kid's a hoot. Anyway, I got tired of saying "banana" so I started singing it like the old commercial "byyyy Mennen." So little mimic started saying "naaaaaa NA na" with that crazy wide-mouth expression and I lost it. OK I know this was one of those times where I really should have gone for the camcorder but I was too caught up in the moment. Sorry!

We had a nice visit from Aunt L and Cousin K today. He was a little on the shy side at first but then succumbed to their cool gifts. He's been playing with the cars all day and of course when he sits on the mat he is obsessed with the "ish" in the water. So add "fish" to the list of words he's getting close to verbalizing! He loved that the cars will go far enough to go bonk, and I loved that the cars were soft enough for me not to worry that I have a kiddo who gets such a charge out of cars running into things. I don't know who was more enthralled, though...WeiJ with the fish, grandpa with the cars that reverse themselves if you roll them backwards, or Cousin K with making the mat conform to it's supposedly convertible box shape. :)
And...it has begun. WeiJ watched part of his first Texas football game tonight. Can't get his little fingers to Hook 'Em yet but he sure did try. :)

No comments: