Yes, there is definitely a toddler living in this house!
It was a little too quiet when I was getting WeiJ's snack ready. I turned around and he was squatting next to the cat with his hands in her water bowl. Nice. I dumped the water into the sink and was going back to grab him to wash his hands when I noticed that ohhhhh boy someone has chipmunk cheeks! I asked him to open his mouth and sure enough, little soggy pieces of kitty food came tumbling out. He was hoarding them in his cheek like Cheerios, sucking on them till they were soft enough to chew and swallow. Bleh.
Then I opened the dryer, and a pebble fell out.
Yes, life's different. :)
I bought WeiJ his first toothbrush and he LOVES it. All the better to scrub out the kitty food, my dear.
So today was WeiJ's first pediatrician appointment. That went fine - he's grown an inch since he was measured in Guangzhou 2 weeks ago and has gained 1/2 a pound...well probably more like a pound since this one was taken with only a diaper vs fully dressed. He's between the 50th and 75th percentile for weight and between 75th and 90th percentile for height! It still floors me that he was ever clinging to that 3% line on the Chinese charts, and here he is this high on the American charts! I'm supposed to cut back his milk intake a bit - we'd actually already started working on that by shorting his bottle by an ounce at a time and moving to one 6 oz juice after breakfast and more water during the day instead. The doctor commented a couple of times on how well he appears to have attached to me in such a short time, so of course that felt good! :) Then the hard part came - shots. Poor little guy didn't appreciate that too much, and I hated being the one having to hold him down. But fortunately the nurse was super quick and had all of them done in a jiffy. Yeah, I thought that was the hard part...but it wasn't. Then they gave us the lab orders to get his bloodwork done. I *thought* they'd just draw some blood and they'd run all the tests off of the usual couple of vials. Nope. After she'd filled the fourth one I looked over at the tray and we were only about at the halfway point. Poor, poor little man! That one was harder even though it was just the one stick, because I had to restrain him in that bear hug for so long and he had gone into the really distressed cry that just tears me up. I couldn't believe they were taking so much blood! It was a full workup though and each of the tests were ones that I definitely wanted done, especially the kidney and liver function tests with the questionable milk supply in China. We should have the results tomorrow, and then Friday we go back for them to read his TB test.
My little trooper perked up tonight when I asked if he wanted a bath - I just let him play in the cool water to try to bring his temperature down a bit. He's got a good fever going but nothing high enough to be cause for concern. Just plenty of discomfort. He's such a good natured boy though...even as crappy as he obviously felt, he still tried so hard tonight to be cheerful. I love that even after a day like today he can walk around singing the song he's got in that big little heart of his.
I Could Never
15 years ago
1 comment:
Oh I've been there with the kitty food! I had to dig cat food from Tristan's cheeks at least a couple of times. Curious kids! hehe ;o)
Post a Comment