Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

For days leading up to Christmas I've been on the verge of an outburst of a big ol' sloppy cry - just so many emotions and I can't quite sort them out or process them. It's the idea of where WeiJ and I each were in our lives this time a year ago, it's watching him study the ornaments on the tree and feeling awed that my path crossed with this child, it's the wonder of transformations, it's admiration for the strength of his spirit, it's the thought of all the children who still wait, it's the thought of the families who pine with crushingly empty spots in their hearts, and it's knowing that that was me last Christmas. I am so deeply grateful to know that WeiJ was being loved by his foster family and not alone this time last year. And now, this Christmas Eve, he was again surrounded by family ... forever family. The light that shines from this little one is magical. In such a short time he has captured so many hearts, and it sometimes overwhelms me to see it. He's not just accepted, he's thoroughly embraced. It makes my heart fuller than I know what to do with.

ShuShu and Ayi spent the night here last night so they could be here for the big Christmas morning moment. I think WeiJ was so taken with the fact that ShuShu, Ayi and GongGong were in the living room waiting for him that it took him a moment to notice the toys. Oh, but then he sure did notice! We flirted with that limit of sensory overload but I think this year we managed to have just the right amount of stimulation for him. He loved everything he got and was trying to figure out how to play with everything at once before settling on one thing at a time...well, when he wasn't combining pieces of one with another to see if they'd work. He ate a hearty breakfast - we all did! - and then after ShuShu and Ayi left, he nodded his head vigorously when I asked if he was ready for some books and a nap. You know he's really ready when he gets up to put his toys outside the bedroom and then closes the door behind him. Two books and five minutes later, he was sawing logs. :)

I don't have photos to upload at the moment, but never fear - they'll be up soon.

I can't imagine a better couple of days for him. Or for me. We're one lucky pair.
So from this lucky pair to all of you who visit the blog so faithfully, we wish you all a warm and happy Christmas!

1 comment:

FHL said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful Christmas with your sweet boy!!!!! Christmas is always beyond special time, but Christmas morning through the eyes of a child is just beyond fun! I'm SO thankful that you have him this year!!!

Look forward to seeing the pictures!