Saturday, January 24, 2009

He's Back

And I couldn't be happier! WeiJ and I had a great day together, including our first "lunch date" and his first...wait for it...hair cut!! I've been putting it off for a while even though it's been getting long because I just knew it would be a traumatic thing. Uh huh.

We sat in the waiting area for about half an hour, and instead of being that fussy kiddo of late WeiJ decided it was a good day to charm the audience. He giggled his way through the wait and I just waited for the eventual melt down. The guy asked what I wanted done, and I was honest - whatever he'll sit still for! I'd have been happy with a trim over the ears and at the back - anything more would be gravy. He had me sit down and put a drape over me, then another one with WeiJ on my lap. WeiJ clearly looked troubled and actually a little annoyed, but wasn't objecting other than a couple of drawn out "nooooooo"s at the beginning. Then the guy got out the little clippers and I just braced for the eruption. About 10 seconds in, the guy says "UhOh" (OH GREAT!) and shows me where he has nicked WeiJ's ear. But no objection?? What?? About a minute later, WeiJ has relaxed and pretty much melted against me, his eyes heavy. Amazing! How did he inherit that from me? I zone out and have actually fallen asleep in the chair before - guess he's the same way. Since he was being so quiet the guy kept trimming the rest - about an inch off all around. I know, I let it get way too long but now that I know it won't be torture I won't have to put it off for so long again. It's not the straightest haircut in the world, but I'll take the good first experience any day! I took my camera with me but since I was holding him, I didn't have a chance to get any photos. I did get a lock of hair to keep for his scrapbook though. :)

Afterwards I took him for fries and chicken strips (corrupting my little vegetarian wannabe) and decided he'd been so good we should eat inside instead of taking it to go. He was so good! None of the yelling, none of the whining, none of the food throwing...ohhh it was so good to have him back!! As we were sitting there it dawned on me that it was the first time I'd done that with just the two of us. I sure must have done something in a past life to get to be this lucky in this one.

No comments: