Friday, January 9, 2009

A, B, C, D...

So what's the verdict on WeiJ's brilliance, you ask? Since today's his last day as a 19 month old, it's time to take inventory of his alphabet recognition.

**drumroll, please**

In the "yes" column, we have....18!
Plus another 5 in the "maybe" column
Leaving only 3 in the "no" column! We're still working on L, Q and R.

Of those maybe's, 2 are X and Z. For Z, he insists on turning the letter sideways and pronouncing it as an N. Kind of hard to argue with that. But sometimes when we're reading, he'll point to the letter Z and say "zuh" or "zoo." And the letter X...well, clearly I am exposing him to the word TEXAS a lot, and clearly that TEXAS is generally accompanied by a Longhorn emblem somewhere... because without fail, when we get to the X he calls it his word for Longhorn (which I can't even try to type out phonetically). So technically he recognizes it, he just doesn't call it an X. Or I could say that he's so brilliant that letters already bore him and he's turning to abstract symbols for code instead. :) K,P and U are the others that sometimes I get the right response for but not consistently enough for me to claim mastery for him. I know - I'm tough, right?

So what does that all amount to in terms of vocabulary? NINETY words if you include names and animal sounds. I don't know if those 5 animal sounds should really count but they're just so darn cute, I couldn't leave them off the list.

Looks like most of you were right on the money with your votes. Guess that bar's set high right off the bat and is probably going to stay that way!