Friday, February 20, 2009

Blogging in Bullets

Things have gotten so busy around here that it's come to the point where I have to jot down bullet points in a draft just to remember what I wanted to share when the rare free moment comes along and I have a chance to write. I know my writing has been a little on the choppy side - that's because I'm writing blurbs at a time and it just doesn't flow. So for today, I'll leave them for what they are - bullets as paragraph titles.

kick! hop!
WeiJ has been jumping incessantly ever since he saw the kung fu demonstrations at the CNY events. He was obviously paying attention (surprise, surprise) and I think is trying to mimic some of the moves. Last week he was throwing his head back as he jumped - maybe a wishful attempt at backflips? He has also been working on the splits, I think. I've caught him a few times letting his feet slide further and further apart until they won't go any further. No doubt in his mind he's trying to figure out how it works. And then the cutest part is he started to mix in kicks among his series of jumps. Better yet, he's vocal about it too! Not only do I get entertained by the nonstop energizer bunny working himself into a sweat, it's accompanied by shouts of hop! kick! (or technically, it's more like HA! GICK!) Just cute as can be!

bottomless pit
Wow can this boy put away the groceries this week! I'm running out of snack ideas and can't seem to keep the fridge stocked well enough for him. After being sick last week, he has been making up for it with a vengeance. He finally has enough teeth to handle some raw veggies so I'm starting to work those into the mix too. It's a little disconcerting to feed him and then have him keep coming back 15 minutes later motioning for more. I know he's eating good stuff, but still - how can that little body process this much?? Full meals, nonstop snacking...I smell a growth spurt!

14 hours of sleep
And if the ravenous appetite wasn't clue enough, then there's his marathon sleep on Saturday. I put him down for his 2nd nap at 5, thinking he'd sleep till maybe 6:30. I was close - it was 7:00...the next morning!

nose kisses
I don't remember which movie it was, but WeiJ and I were watching a cartoon that showed a girl "eskimo kissing." WeiJ thought that was the funniest thing...and even funnier when I gave him one. Neither one of us has the most prominent nose so it's just silly fun to try.

v-day cookies
My little valentine and I made a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies on Valentine's day. Yummy! Or in WeiJ-ese, more? followed by a sweet grin and an even sweeter Thank You!

6-month post adoption report
I can't believe it's already that time - our first post-adoption visit with my social worker. I wasn't terribly worried about it, mostly because I didn't have time to be. But at the last minute, I had sudden attack of the what-ifs and wished I had spent more time scubbing the house till it sparkled. In the end, she didn't even look around much and just wanted to go through a long series of questions. WeiJ slept over 3 hours and almost didn't wake up in time for the visit...and when he did woke up, he was disappointed that the noise he heard in the kitchen didn't turn out to be ShuShu, Ayi, or "Lelo." His little lip was even quivering at the prospect of a stranger in his kitchen! He snuggled on me for a bit before he warmed up but ended up doing just fine. 6 months. 6 months! Pulling out the original paperwork and seeing his mug shots from Adoption Day were a little shock to the system. He has changed so much - but mostly it's the sadness in his eyes that jolt me. Then I pulled out his recent photos to send in, and the side by side comparison made me smile and made my heart happy. I'm so proud to be able to show China how he's thriving. It's unbelievable how much difference there is in what really is a short amount of time. It has flown by!

1 comment:

Teenuh said...

Holy cow! 6 months! That is insane!

Glad it's been going so well, he sounds like a complete doll.