Monday, March 2, 2009

Monkey walk, frog hops and Edward

It's my fault. I should have known better. But I ordered the Kindle anyway.

That would have been bad enough....but then I started reading Twilight. I couldn't resist the curiosity to find out what the big deal was, what all the fuss was about. I lost an entire weekend to vampires and wolves -- and it was wonderful! I had a ton of work I needed to accomplish over the weekend but I felt that anxiety and stress fall away the further I escaped into the story. Besides being the first thing I've taken the time to read since WeiJ came home, I think these are the first books I've read since late 2006 that didn't have something to do with either adoption, toddler parenting or China. During the wait I threw myself at those books partly as preparation, partly as a way to stay connected to the hopeful dream. It felt like such a luxury to read something just for pure fun!

I can't remember the last time I read a book all the way through, let alone 3 1/2 of them in a weekend. It would have been a complete 4, but I *did* manage to pull myself away enough to enjoy silly time with WeiJ. We ran laps around the house in games of chase (and tickle), and hopped like frogs. We also walked like monkeys (the Mowgli walk) but I get too much of a kick out of watching him do that to actually do much of it on my own. He's getting so heavy that it's hard to do as much of the swinging games he likes, so we just twirled in circles to get dizzy instead. Lots of tickling, lots of flipping upside down, lots of silly infectious laughter.

And last night, on the day that marked 6 months after we met, he blew kisses at me after I tucked him in. *sigh* He's come so unbelievably far and I'm just too lucky for words.

1 comment:

Teenuh said...

*snicker* welcome to Kindle-crack land. :)

And holy crap how the hell has it been 6 months already?!?!?!?!