Monday, March 16, 2009

The Week in WeiJ's World

It was another one of those weeks that was just too insanely busy. Fortunately it was Spring Break around here, so WeiJ got to spend a couple of days having fun with his admirers. On Tuesday he got to spend most of the day with Lelo and -- ok, we really need an official name for her but we'll call her Auntie L for now. I could tell WeiJ had a blast with them. He got to go to the park and for a walk in the neighborhood -- those are always sure winners. Even as busy as I was, I couldn't help but to stop and smile at all the chatter and singing I was overhearing from the living room. He fought valiantly to stay awake as long as he could and not miss a minute of the fun, and then when they left he slept soundly for more than 2 hours. And if that day plus our usual Wednesday night fun wasn't enough, he had another special day on Friday with ZaZa.

I'm not sure if it was the guilt or the exhaustion, but this weekend I decided to put off work until Monday (even though I'm still swamped and way behind) and just spend the time hanging out with WeiJ. I'm not even sure I could begin to describe how peaceful it was to be sitting on the couch last night after dinner, reading a book with WeiJ in his pj's lying with his head on my lap. He was perfectly happy to do nothing but fiddle with his little fire truck and let me stroke his hair. He's generally such a little perpetual motion machine that it was that much more touching that we could just sit there together and "be."

Sometimes after particularly chaotic/sensory overload days, even late at night when it's completely silent in the house I will hear echoes of the day when I close my eyes. In Vegas, it was slot machine clinks. In China, it was the traffic sounds. There have been a handful of difficult days when I've heard his cries. But last night when I closed my eyes, it was his squeals of laughter ringing in my ears. How could I ask for a better way to end a week than that?

No comments: