Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Miss Us?

Eeks! Two weeks! I didn't realize it had been that long since I wrote an update. It's partly because it's been a stressful month, and partly because I woke up one day to find I'm a mama to a full-fledged 2 year old with attitude who is into everything. His recent growth spurt means he can reach up to grab things on countertops or the top of my dresser. I've been waking up to find my glasses missing, my Kindle being banged repeatedly on the side of the bed, or a snacktrap's worth of Cheerios dumped in my bed...and best of all, I've been locked out of the house while he gleefully mimed my gestures on the other side of the glass door.

On the bright side, it is still mind-boggling how smart he is. As of a few weeks ago he'd been saying his numbers out loud from 1 to 5. I had no idea he knew his numbers past 5 until I bought some fridge number magnets. I also didn't know he knew the word "magnet" until he was jumping up and down shouting "new magnet! new magnet!" when I pulled them out of the bag. Lo and behold, when I put the numbers in line, he listed them off one by one all the way up to 9. He gets a little stuck on 6 and 9 sometimes, but that seems understandable to get those mixed up. I guess since he's all of two and two weeks, I'll cut him a little slack.

WeiJ is also reading more and more. For his birthday, one of the books I got him is now called "the Oops book" and he gets a kick out of reading it himself. I tried to get video Monday but he was too amped up to sit still long enough to finish. Guess I shouldn't have told him about going to Sea World before that. He also likes reading the 2 alphabet books. H and J are still a little tentative but he's so confident now of the rest of the letters that he barely hesitates anymore. For just about every book we read now, he's filling in more and words by himself.

WeiJ's also getting more specific when he asks to eat. It used to be just "eat" - and sometimes still is - but now he will tell me more specifically what he wants. The other morning it was "eat...nee baba" which translates to "eat green apple," and for lunch it was "chss...breh" which is cheese and bread, aka a toasted cheese sandwich.


Little toot is also a funny little guy. Since he got here I've been telling him that the outlet covers on the wall were a no-no to touch, that they'd give him a bad booboo. I figured that would be easy enough for him to understand. Well, he came running up to me one day saying, "ohhhh, booboo" and offering me his finger to kiss better. Then he'd say "ohhhh, booboo" and give me the same finger on the other hand. Then he'd run off giggling, and come back in the room saying "ohhh, booboo" again and repeat the process over and over and over. He thought it was hysterical. So finally I followed him to the other room...and there he was, squatting in front of an unused cable outlet - touching it with each hand to give himself "booboos" to have me kiss better. Just a hunch, but methinks this one will be testing everything for himself instead of taking my word for it. Stinker! ;)

And finally, today was his 2 year old checkup with the doctor. He only had to get one shot (bad enough but better than the multiples we were doing when we started playing catch up last Fall) and the doctor still says she couldn't be happier with his progress. He's just a fraction below the 90% mark for both height and weight! I'm assuming his growth chart will start leveling off at some point but he hasn't been showing any signs of slowing down just yet. 36" and 32 pounds -- a far cry from the little one who I once worried might be tagged with a "failure to thrive" label if he slipped any further down the charts. HA. At least that's one worry I can cross off my list once and for all!

No comments: