Wednesday, August 20, 2008

He's Packed!

I bought a new suitcase this week - it was just sitting there in Baby J's room taunting me with all that space to fill. So last night I couldn't wait any more and got a stack of gallon-size ziploc bags and started putting together his things. I've heard that method makes it easier to stay organized plus it will cut down on the mildewy smell if we run into that issue. Hopefully since it's going to be September and not July or August, it won't be as hot or as rainy and damp but you never know. He's got 1 bag for pj's, 1 bag for swimsuits&hats, 1 bag for onesies and pants, 1 bag for rompers and 1 bag with a couple long sleeve t-shirts and shorts. Then the last bag will be what I take in my carryon for the way home...I stood in front of the closet for at least 10 minutes last night with a grin on my face as I decided what his "coming home" outfit should be. :) Everything stacks nice and flat in the bags and fits nicely in the outer pocket of the suitcase. I'm not worried about space so much now as I am staying under the 44 pound weight limit. I have a handful of toys and books set aside to bring...other than that I think one more trip to the store for socks, diapers and OTC meds and he'll be all set!

Me on the other hand...I can guarantee that far less thought will go into what outfits to bring for myself! I have those clothes set aside too but haven't felt the need to go through them every few days to look at them again. Do they fit? Do they match? Good enough - toss 'em in the bag and go. I think the bag of clothes to donate to the kids and the bag of nanny gifts will take up about 1/3 of the space...but that means I'll have 1/3 of the space empty for all the shopping loot. Squeaky shoes, little silk outfits, and maybe even a souvenir or two for me.

It's all coming together...but what gets me is how NORMAL this feels. In April I was a shaking mess of a wreck trying to make the big yes/no decision. I found my calm again as soon as I signed the papers. In mid-June I started to become a basket case waiting for the approval. But once that came, there's been nothing but peace. I keep waiting for the nutty obsessive worrier part of me to come rising to the surface...but not a peep yet. 7 1/2 days to takeoff and no obsessive worrying in sight. Let's see how long that holds out!

1 comment:

Kortnie said...

Wow, only one more trip to the store. I think I went to the store about 20 times my last 3 days before leaving. I would find a little pocket of unused space in my suitcase and convince myself I was missing something. I can not wait to read those words that you have him in your arms (as I'm sure you can't wait to type tham). We will be anxiously waiting back here in SA and can't wait to meet him myself. Happy Travels.

Kortnie