Today was one of those days that made me sit back and say wow, I can't believe we're finally here. And I can't believe it's even better than I pictured it would be.
We had planned a short road trip to get together with another family we met in China, but unfortunately that had to be rescheduled. But since we'd all been looking so forward to it we decided to hit the road anyway. The idea of Korean food and a great park were just too tempting, and the chance for a mini-escape was a much needed bonus. It was also sort of a test run to see how WeiJ would handle being cooped up for a couple hours of travel. I'd say he passed with flying colors! (Apparently the key will be to wear him out during layovers.)
I clearly remember the last few times we ate at that Korean place, I sat there wistfully daydreaming about bringing my child-do-be with us someday and planning outings to the park. Today that day finally arrived! WeiJ sat through the drive pretty well and then through lunch. He even successfully ate a few things with chopsticks - well, chopsticks that I didn't break apart so they were still attached at the top. He was pretty pleased! I think the biggest hit (and I've also mentally filed it away as a ploy to pull from the bag of tricks when I need to distract him in restaurants) was a "lemon pop" - aka a lemon wedge on the chopsticks.
As soon as we got to the park I remembered just how much I liked it and all the reasons I couldn't wait to share it with him. Right now I think the fact that it had water, rocks, and a playground are all he really cares about...but there's so much more for us to explore. I definitely see return trips in our future! We headed for the playground first, and once we dragged his attention away from the little rocks on the ground he was ALL ABOUT the playscape and slides. He's gotten so big and independent that now all I had to do was help him up the first part of the steps and then he was off across bridges to whichever slide destination he wanted. Well, that's all *I* had to do. ShuShu may have been put to work pulling him up a slide or two as well. :)
He had a great time and I was just happy watching him be so happy. It was only interrupted once...right about when I discovered that Mama Bear doesn't ask my permission first, she just acts. I/She *may* have yelled at some kids to stop throwing rocks after WeiJ and I got hit at the bottom of the slide. In hindsight yes they were groundcover pebbles and yes they were more nuisance than real danger...but like I said, Mama Bear didn't ask what I thought before she opened her mouth. She just knew that her cub was in the line of fire and she snapped. Seriously, it was like someone else was speaking. And then inside I groaned, oh no, am I *that* mom on the playground?? Oh well. At least no more big kids were throwing rocks in the little kids' area anymore and we got to play in peace.
Anyway, we walked along the springs for a while and watched kids and dogs and boats and birds before heading back out. We did stop for snow cones that tasted extra wonderful on such a hot day. WeiJ was definitely a fan. He was so wiped out by that point that he actually sat still on my lap while we all ate them. Does it get better than sitting in the shade at the park, eating snow cones?
I Could Never
16 years ago
1 comment:
Sounds like a perfect day!!! (I've been known to have a few mama bear moments....only I reserve mine for drunken cursing men at sporting events...which D has asked me to stop doing and allow him to handle *wink*)
Post a Comment